sjfphotography
fine art prints
greeting cards
natural light portraits

February 17, 2011

1313 13th

The summer of 1961 mother decided I needed to prepare for my high school future by learning to type. She enrolled me in a summer course at Draughon's Business College, her alma mater. Draughon's at 15th and Texas Avenue was "in town" and 10 miles from New Deal. Mother drove me every morning to class. I typed for two hours (achieving 50+ wpm) and then walked to the TNM&O terminal at 1313 13th Street to ride the bus home. There was a wait so I had a piece of pie and coke at the counter of the bus station diner. I then boarded the bus and rode to June's Cafe, the New Deal bus stop, where mother picked me up. After a few days of riding and conversation with the driver, he stopped the bus right there on US Highway 87 and let me off in front of our house.

Texas, New Mexico & Oklahoma Coaches of Lubbock was founded in 1939 and sold out to Greyhound in 1967. The TNM&O terminal was built in 1955 and also served as the corporate offices before closing in the 1990s. The long-vacant building is currently being remodeled to house the Experience Life Church, which started in a roller skating rink. The closed Bus Stop Diner was rumored haunted by the city's transients, although TNM&O administrators blamed the dust. I never had to share my pie with a ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment